Monday 23 September 2013

LE...Personal Style: José Mourinho

This is must read for all those whocrave to know of Mourinho style essence...
courtesy:

Jessica Punter

Jessica Punter Jessica Punter is Style & Grooming Editor at British GQ.

Before José Mourinho brought style and swagger to the world of football management, the leading men of the Premier League were limited to two looks: the knackered track suit from the kit manager's bag or the shapeless Ron Atkinson-style camel coat. In his tailored suit and Armani overcoat, Mourinho changed all that. (When GQ reminds Mourinho that the coat famously sold for £22,000 at a charity auction, he flatly corrects us: "I'm famous in England because I was the champion of Chelsea.") Arguably the best football manager of modern times - although Sir Alex Ferguson might disagree - Mourinho has gone from being Bobby Robson's translator to winning two Champions League titles with different clubs and league titles in three countries. But the day we met him at Real Madrid's training ground on transfer deadline day the topic of conversation wasn't football but his latest match - as the new global face of Braun.
When I was at Chelsea I met Giorgio Armani in Milan. I've always liked Armani, and I've always had a good relationship with the brand. I also like to wear Ermenegildo Zegna and Hugo Boss.
Wearing a suit as opposed to a tracksuit doesn't make you a better manager.
This season I'm going a different direction. I'm not going to wear a suit to the matches - I'm going very casual. When I started wearing a suit and a tie to games, not many others did, but certainly ten years later everybody does. So now I'm wearing casual trousers. I think that other people will follow.
Young players today are not very stylish. I have so many fights and laughs with the Madrid squad because these days, a manager has to adapt to the age group they are working with and it's a quality a manager should have. The managers are getting older, and the players are always young boys. So you can imagine Alex Ferguson, at 70, will think the kids are badly dressed. But they like to dress for the times.
I'd like to see the players dressed properly. That doesn't need to mean a suit and tie - it means not in shorts and a T-shirt on the day of the match, or leaving the stadium, or going into a press conference. I just use the word "properly" and I leave the space for them to understand what that is - it's their choice and their responsibility. The football stadium means work - it's not just a pitch.
Who's the worst dressed-player? It wouldn't be fair to name someone, because many of them dress the same. But I think some of them know how to dress properly, which means that in August, they can arrive at the training ground in shorts and a T-shirt, but on the day of the match, or a ceremony, they arrive in a shirt and tie. They have enough education to know how to dress for the occasion.
The players must be comfortable. I don't have a strict grooming policy. But during the match their hairstyle cannot interfere with their game. I don't care if it's longer or shorter that's not a problem, as long as if they feel comfortable with it and if it doesn't get in the way.


I never shave the day of a match. I used to shave with a razor. I was always afraid of making a mistake with the blade and nicking my face - things that happen when you shave in a traditional way. It was a habit and a routine from the old times; now there are such good electric shavers I don't have this problem. I don't shave every day, but when I do, I like to take my time and I like to do it properly.
I don't wear fragrance or traditional aftershave. But I do like face cream and moisturisers and to keep my skin hydrated.
A watch is the only jewellery a man should wear. Women have many options, many choices. I don't like bracelets, necklaces or rings on a man. So if you have the option of having a few nice watches, you should.
My watch is by deLaCour because I like the brand. If I have an agreement with a certain brand, it's because I like it. Just like Braun. I get a lot of offers, but I am selective - I only choose what I like. So I would never make a partnership or chose a brand just because they pay me.
Every man should have a white shirt in his wardrobe. Sooner or later you will need it.
My style rule is to just feel comfortable. I would never wear something just because it looked good if I weren't comfortable.
I have two favourite pairs of shoes: one Prada, one Tod's. These are the shoes I wore when I won the Champions League finals, and I wore them for the last time that day - when I won against Porto and when I won again with Inter. These two pairs of shoes are in my wardrobe and I will never touch them again. Not because I am superstitious, just because I happened to wear those shoes that day, so I kept them.
José Mourinho is the new ambassador for Braun electric shaving. For more info, visit braun.com/uk.

Jessica Punter

Jessica Punter Jessica Punter is Style & Grooming Editor at British GQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment